Following Through on Healthier Traveling: Jayme Serbell
There’s a common misconception that living on the road equates to having a healthy lifestyle. The reality is that it can be just as challenging to meet personal health and wellness goals while traveling-- with the added chaos of keeping a constant travel schedule. But for Jayme Serbell, moving into a camper and hitting the road opened her mind up to the possibility that she could take action to create healthier habits, one small step at a time.
And after a year of traveling, her commitment to those small but daily efforts tell quite the story.
Jayme Serbell is the founder of Gnomad Home, an online resource for camper travelers. She travels around with her dogs and husband John in a 1996 Chevy Express High Top Conversion Van that they built out with their own two hands! As soon as they hit the road, Jayme began the very first steps to reclaiming her life and discovering who she truly is. For her, the van and all the discomforts that come with living on the road gave her a freedom not just of beautiful sceneries and a life of flexibility - it gave her the freedom to be real with herself, and create the happy and honest life she wants for herself internally.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Why Jayme decided to create a healthier lifestyle for herself
- The biggest challenge Jayme has faced yet on her path to live
- How social media can stagnate your own development in wellness
- Jayme’s thoughts on cleaning your yoga mat while living outdoors
- How living on the road has helped Jayme to make changes to her habits
- Laura shares her experience with going plant-based while traveling
- The reason why Jayme doesn’t keep Oreos in her camper
- Jayme shares tips on how to say ‘no’ to alcohol in social settings
- How Laura and Jayme got their families on board with their new ways
- Jayme’s favorite healthy meals to cook in the van, and Laura’s new
favorite camper kitchen appliance
- The tool Jayme uses to set and achieve goals for her overall wellness
- What Jayme tells herself when she doesn’t meet a goal that she set
- Tips for keeping up with your own health goals while traveling long
- Why it’s okay to take a break sometimes
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Connect to the Women On The Road community online:
- Instagram - @womenontheroad
- Facebook page for extra content and updates - Women On The Road
- Plus, a special Women On The Road Facebook group for podcast listeners!
- Episode Landing Page
Podcast Sponsors, Giveaways, and Discounts!
- Check out Sawyer, and enter to win a Sawyer Gift Pack on
- Visit Benchmark Maps and use code WOMENONTHEROAD for 20% off your
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Fridays-- subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode. Follow along with Laura Hughes on Instagram (@howsheviewsit) and see more of her work through her website, How She Views It.
Music is by Hyson (CC by SA), Jason Shaw (CC by A), and Jahzzar (CC by SA).
WOTR podcast cover artwork designed by Dani Opal.