Episode 80: CDProjekt’s ‘Ship Now, Apologize Later’ Strategy Worked… Sorta (News Show)
CDProjekt shipped a broken Cyberpunk 2077, hoping that consumers would just… take it. Now, investors are upset and consumer sentiment is in the toilet. The financial impact? Not as bad as it could have been. Also: a flurry of Microsoft announcements, Epic’s game store expansion, and Humble’s step back from charity.
You can support Virtual Economy’s growth via our Ko-Fi at Ko-Fi.com/VirtualEconomy.
- [00:02:15] - Microsoft brings cloud gaming to iOS
- [00:03:15] - ID@Azure launches this summer
- [00:03:28] - The Windows Store is likely getting a makeover (with relaxed requirements for developers)
- [00:06:55] - You no longer need Xbox Live for free-to-play games
- [00:08:25] - An update on the Xbox controller drift lawsuit
- [00:09:22] - Discord is reportedly off the market
- [00:16:24] - Humble announces changes to charity giving
- [00:30:00] - M&A Minute
- [00:36:52] - Quick Hits
- [00:53:21] - Epic Games Store adds App category and Itch.io
- [00:58:41] - The fallout from Cyberpunk 2077’s return nightmare
NEW WRITING FROM VIRTUAL ECONOMY
- Xbox Cloud Gaming for Windows 10 PC and Apple Phones and Tablets Begin as Limited Beta for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Members
- Microsoft Announces ID@Azure (Thurrott)
- Microsoft is building a new app store for Windows 10 in major revitalization effort (Windows Central)
- Online Multiplayer for Free-to-Play Games Unlocked Starting Today
- Xbox drift law firm explains why it’s buying people’s controllers (The Loadout)
- Discord Ends Deal Talks With Microsoft (WSJ)
- A note about sliders and our bundle pages
- Epic Games Store Adds More PC Apps!
- CD Projekt FY 2020 Financial Results
- Global Video Game Investment Activity Report Q1 2021 (Investgame)
- WELCOME PCF CHICAGO!
- FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE accelerates its development with the acquisition of Streum On Studio, long-standing partner of the Group
- Acquisition of Climax Studios Ltd
- Lightheart Entertainment raises $6.8M in Series A funding
- AUSTRALIA’S LARGEST INDEPENDENT GAMES DEVELOPER MIGHTY KINGDOM SET FOR ASX LISTING