212: (news) Abuse At Homeless Shelter, Racketeering, and Puppy Bowl helps shelters
More info on how donor-advised funds work from our podcast.
Reminder: just because an organization is a 501c3, doesn't mean it is scandal-free.New York Times Reporting Spurs Investigations Into Abuse At Homeless Shelter Nonprofit
After a New York Times investigative report revealed allegations of sexual assault and harrassment against a prominent homeless shelter CEO, New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio has ordered a formal investigation. The allegations against Victor Rivera, CEO of the Bronx Parent Housing Network, come from ten women and are now being investigated by an outside firm. DeBlasio wrote on Twitter, “Victor Rivera must understand that no, he is not untouchable.”Read more ➝
Political Nonprofit Charged With Federal Racketeering Pleads Guilty In Bribery Scandal
A political nonprofit has pleaded guilty to federal racketeering charges for its role in the largest bribery scheme in Ohio history. The organization, Generation Now, funneled more than $61 million in bribes to ex-Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder.Read more ➝ 👋 Did someone share this email with you? Considering subscribing for weekly updates. ✅ The Summary...
- After Abuse Allegations, $2 Billion Shelter Network Faces Scrutiny
- A nonprofit will plead guilty to funneling $61 million in FirstEnergy bribery money, so what’s that say for F
- Giving through DAFS increased 29.8 percent in first half of 2020
- NRA Bankruptcy Lets Critics Peer Into Gun Lobby’s Inner Workings
- Nonprofit with similar name to Robinhood benefits from attention on stock trading app
- United Way Worldwide investigation finds no 'actionable' harassment
- Activists Take On Prison Industrial Complex