Manufacturing Dissent: How We Let an Aussie Destroy the U.S.
Today we take on News Corp., the most egregious example of “manufactured consent.” The fact that we let this monster from down under invade our thought space and contaminate the discourse in this nation is a crime. Rupert Murdoch’s companies have made us dumber, angrier and more susceptible to conspiracies. Of this there can be no doubt. To reveal how he accomplished this, we’ll travel through a brief history of American media, discuss the legislation at the center of the disaster that is our media, and place our polarized news landscape in its proper context. The pivot centerpoint of our feature is 1996. Max also introduces two new themes into the show and addresses listener feedback to the Fuck Milton Friedman episode during show notes. #FMF #FRM
- Ralph Nader Radio Hour- Be a Smart News Consumer: https://spoti.fi/3gBzF8Q
- Michael Wolff- The Man Who Owns the News: Inside the Secret World of Rupert Murdoch: https://bookshop.org/a/23377/9780767929523
- Ken Auletta- Backstory: Inside the Business of News: https://bookshop.org/a/23377/9780143034636
- Matt Taibbi- Hate, Inc.: Why Today's Media Makes Us Despise One Another: https://bookshop.org/a/23377/9781682194072
- Noam Chomsky + Edward S. Herman- Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media: https://bookshop.org/a/23377/9780375714498
Buy yourself some Unf*cking Coffee at shop.unftr.com.
Subscribe to Unf*cking The Republic on Substack at unftr.substack.com to get the essays these episode are framed around sent to your inbox every week.
Visit our bookshop.org page at bookshop.org/shop/UNFTRpod to find the full UNFTR book list
Access the UNFTR Musicless feed by following the instructions at unftr.com/accessibility.
Unf*cking the Republic is produced and engineered by Manny Faces Media (mannyfacesmedia.com). Original music is by Tom McGovern (tommcgovern.com). The show is written and hosted by the ghosts of Bloomsbury and distributed by honey bees.
Podcast art description: Image of the US Congress ripped in the middle revealing white text on a blue background that says, "Unf*cking the Republic."
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.