39 minutes | Jun 24, 2018

Dr. Sybril Brown on Choosing Ourselves in the Wait

And just like that I'm ending this season of The Waiting Room podcast with a final episode. I felt my next guest's perspective encompasses everything this series is all about. One of my mentors, Dr. Sybril Brown enlightens us about the burden we feel in the waiting that comes from wanting to be in a place we’re not. From the moment we are old enough to dream of our future and place expectations on what we “thought” our life would hold, waiting begins to test our faith.Throughout the year-long process of production I’ve found comfort in remembering that none of us wait alone. Waiting doesn’t have to be viewed as a limitation. It doesn't have to be our permission to coast through life and shortcut the challenges.Preparing interviews, figuring out the platform to share them, taking a pause so I could live to understand a deeper meaning of the series, then final editing from start to finish was quite the journey.Sharing a new episode with you each week (despite hearing them more than 20+ times) has been surreal. While therapeutic and purposeful, the release of each story has also felt uncomfortably heavy, bringing emotions to surface that are necessary to growth and acceptance. Asking guests to tell their stories from a raw place many of us don't like to go took an extra dose of courage and I'm thankful this all came together the way it has.The purpose of my job as a content creator in the music industry, here in this creative pursuit and nature of who I am is to “encourage and provide hope.” God calls us to seek a purpose that molds us into someone other than who we “think we are” and so desire to be.Despite how deep I've gotten with you up until this point, I'm pretty lighthearted 85% of the time. Most of the work I've created has forced me to be kinder to myself in the other 15%.The other night I was talking with a friend about relationships (generically speaking) and the danger of passiveness. Without skipping a beat she said, “The point of relationship(s) is not to become more desirable to catch one.” It was never intended for us to become someone that others and opportunities are drawn to. The intention God had for us from the beginning was to become more like Him so that He could be the one desired by those around us.There are times that while I’m providing help to those who are seeking comfort, I don’t always believe those messages I share for my own life. There are mornings I wake up and my mind becomes consumed with the burden of “what if’s” and “please help me let this go,” and I end up in swirling mode (Episode 1 talks about this if you need a reference. 😉 ). Heck if we’re being honest, earlier this week I hit a few rough patches that led me to ask those questions.It’s been tough at times to dig myself out of that pit of disappointment and keep going. But I do it anyway because each day I have is a limited-time, non-refundable chance to move forward. The point of "eb and flow" is that we will be okay again.I have to believe this because there’s no other choice. There’s no other choice than to wait, invest in the goodness around us and know that no matter what, we must "take a seat, take heart" and choose contentment over and over and over again. Thanks for listening and blessings in whatever season you may be in,Libby 
Play Next