Ep #6: Investing Insights with Dave Seymour of 'Flipping Boston'
Passionate about helping people, but ready for a career change with financial growth? When what you think is normal can be taken away, consider real estate investing. Do great work to make great money.
In this episode, Wayne talks to Dave Seymour of the hit home improvement show on the A&E network called, Flipping Boston. After 16 years as a firefighter and paramedic, Dave launched his career as a real estate investor and quickly became one of the nation’s leading experts in both residential and commercial transactions. Dave describes himself as a blue collar guy in a white collar world who wasn’t raised in financial intelligence.
Topics on Today’s Episode:
- Lessons Learned: Trading time for money and following somebody else’s financial plan
- Keeping Up with the Joneses: Average American’s amount of debt is extraordinary
- Financial Illiteracy to Intelligence: Losing everything forces Dave to figure it out
- Past, Present, and Future Mantra: If you say you’re going to do something, do it
- Favorite Asset Classes: Single-family to multifamily isn’t sexy but creates cash flow
- Go Big or Go Home: Post-COVID opportunities to take down multiple assets in areas
- Partner Up: Be available, accessible, and transparent to bring in accredited investors
- Data-driven Statistics: Multifamily/commercial real estate outperforms stock market
- Secret Sauce: Finding deals takes time to build relationships with brokers and bankers
- Good, Bad, and Ugly: Educate, then execute; know what you know
- Learn and Grow: Always look for value adds in real estate and people
- Bottom Line: If real estate is not part of a retirement plan, the plan’s broken
- Passive vs. Active Investors: What to look for and expect to not be a real estate victim