How Do You Teach Creativity?
A conversation on Facebook with my friend Jake led me to ponder the nature of teaching kids how to do creative work. Jake Ritter is a broadcast journalism teacher and John Mulvany is an artist and art teacher of 26 years.
In this episode we chat about:
- what the schools of thought when it comes to teaching creativity are
- what the most challenging aspects of teaching creativity are
- how to help kids who just don't know where to start
- how to structure creative assignments
- the balance between teaching skills and opening up opportunities to be creative
- how to balance giving students creative freedom and wanting to give them guidance
- how to structure collaborative creative projects
- meeting deadlines vs. feeling creatively satisfied
- how to structure self and peer assessments
- how to assess a creative project as teachers
Plus you'll hear audio from both Jake's and John's classroom in how they support their students.
Just for fun, here is the final product for 'The Bachelor' piece the students did
CONNECT WITH JOHN MULVANY
CONNECT WITH JAKE RITTER
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- RoHawk Talk YouTube Channel
SUPPORT THE PODCAST