150: A Launch That Loses Money to a 6-Figure Launch 3 Months Later – What Changed? (Featuring Kate Kordsmeier)
If you’ve been listening to this podcast for a while, you know that my first online course was not an instant success. That’s why I love hearing from other course creators about the highs and lows of their own online course journeys. Guest Kate Kordsmeier has a fascinating tale of successful blogging, making money, losing money, and turning it all around.
In This Episode, We Talked About:
“What I liked about courses was that it was a way to reach many more people, i.e. have a bigger impact but without having to do more work. I was trying to find something that was a little bit more scaleable, a little bit more passive…”
– Kate Kordsmeier
- (0:47) Catching up with David on getting traction with your content
- (2:49) Reflecting on who’s inspired us and how co-hosting is going
- (5:01) Why David’s learning about standup comedy
- (7:46) What I’ve been working on lately
- (9:06) Celebrating progress with my Next Level Course students
- (11:23) Introducing Kate and how she got started in online courses
- (14:21) Why online courses instead of a book or a blog post?
- (18:09) Going beyond basic content
- (19:59) How Kate handles video coaching
- (25:30) What about students who aren’t on social media?
- (29:00) Value propositions + success stories
- (34:11) How Kate has structured her course content
- (35:32) Taking the course from idea to finished product
- (38:39) Learning from a low point
- (43:18) How Kate’s launch style has evolved
- (44:59) Does passive income really exist?
- (48:55) How the pandemic has affected her family and business
- (54:39) Transitioning into an evergreen marketing model
- (1:00:41) My suggestions for how Kate could relaunch to people on her list
- (1:08:44) Conversion rates and traffic sources
- (1:11:06) Making decisions based on niche and personality
- (1:19:01) Kate’s favorite tools and platforms
- (1:28:31) Advice for new and aspiring course creators
- (1:30:52) David and I discuss the launch rollercoaster
- (1:34:14) Recent changes in my business
- (1:42:08) The value of analytics
- (1:44:07) Wrapping up
That’s all for now, folks! See you on the next episode of The Online Course Show.
Links Offers and Tools:
- Owen Video
- Blog to Biz Hive
- Digital Course Academy
- Mariah Coz
- Rocket Fuel
- The Obstacle is the Way
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.powered by