146: How Just $10 in Startup Costs Led to a Ultra Successful Online Course Business (featuring Jono Petrohilos)
We’re back with another exciting interview from a successful online course creator! Guest Jono Petrohilos has an amazing story of bootstrapping his way from a tiny course investment to a thriving business in his fitness education niche. I loved hearing how Jono’s openness and drive made all the difference in his online course’s success, and we had a great chat on best practices for people at different stages in their own journey.
“‘Build it and they will come’… is just about the worst marketing strategy there is.”
– Jono Petrohilos
Without further ado, it’s time for a deep dive into what has worked for Jono and his online course business. Get your notebook and pen ready – there’s lots of great food for thought here!
In This Episode, We Talked About:
- (1:04) Why David is so excited about Next Level Courses
- (3:27) An epiphany I had on what platform to use for group coaching
- (6:04) Observations and feedback on how the podcast is evolving
- (10:15) My fanboy expectations being met and exceeded
- (13:51) Favorite takeaways from a recent learning opportunity
- (23:14) Setup for today’s interview
- (24:40) Getting to know Jono
- (27:10) How a learning mindset led Jono to success and prepared him for his online course journey
- (35:19) How he realized he could avoid a lot of upfront costs
- (39:56) Jono’s very first launch
- (47:22) Building up a contact list
- (50:14) Going where your audience is
- (56:49) Course validation and pre-selling
- (1:01:36) What about course creators who don’t have an audience?
- (1:15:14) The power of giving value away for free
- (1:17:08) Having fun… and avoiding being called a stalker?
- (1:19:56) How Jono’s business is currently structured
- (1:24:02) Turning points that led to success
- (1:30:51) The theme throughout Jono’s journey
- (1:36:37) A favorite student success story
- (1:41:28) Jono’s platforms of choice
- (1:47:53) Dave’s thoughts on Jono’s story
- (1:52:26) What we assume our audience is vs. who they really are
- (1:53:42) Starting where you are
- (1:58:26) Am I too cool for David’s latest suggestion?
- (2:01:41) The Online Course Guy catchphrase… maybe
- (2:05:17) Wrapping up
That’s all for now, folks! See you on the next episode of The Online Course Show.Links
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.powered by