Episode 138: Why Higher Education May Be the Next Step in Your Oncology Nursing Career
ONS members Joan Such Lockhart, PhD, RN, CNE, ANEF, FAAN, professor and director of the MSN nursing education program at Duquesne University’s School of Nursing in Pittsburgh, PA, and member of the Greater Pittsburgh ONS Chapter, and Melinda Oberleitner, DNS, RN, FAAN, dean at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s College of Nursing and Allied Health and member of the South Central Louisiana ONS Chapter, join Stephanie Jardine, BSN, RN, oncology clinical specialist at ONS, to discuss why all oncology nurses should consider pursuing higher education.
Music Credit: "Fireflies and Stardust" by Kevin MacLeod
Licensed under Creative Commons by Attribution 3.0
Earn 0.5 contact hours of nursing continuing professional development (NCPD) by listening to the full recording and completing an evaluation at myoutcomes.ons.org by January 15, 2023. The planners and faculty for this episode have no conflicts to disclose, and the episode has no commercial support. ONS is accredited as a provider of NCPD by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Complete this evaluation for free NCPD.
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing article: Graduate Nursing Education: Selecting the Right Program to Match Career Goals
- Oncology Nursing Forum article: Considerations for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree
- Oncology Nursing Forum article: The Research Doctorate in Nursing: The PhD
- ONS book: Nursing Professional Development for Clinical Educators
- ONS book: Standards of Oncology Nursing Education
- ONS resources for educators
- ONS resources for student nurses
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing essentials
- Association for Nursing Professional Development
- National League for Nursing
- Professional Nurse Educators Group
- Seminars in Oncology Nursing article: Oncology Resources for Students Enrolled in Pre-Licensure and Graduate Nursing Programs in the United States: A Scoping Review of the Literature