Ep 036 The Book in Our Back Pocket with Philip McKernan
Inspirational Speaker, Writer & Filmmaker
I found out about Philip in a conversation with Srinivas Rao, the creator and genius mind behind The Unmistakable Creative Podcast. Philip has been a guest on his podcast several times and he and I will be a part of a completely unique conference Srinivas is putting together in Nashville, TN. In speaking with Srini about the conference, he told me he was trying to decide between Philip and I as to who he wanted to have close down the conference because of how dynamic he feels we both are.
Clearly, that made me want to meet this man.
Philip works with entrepreneurs and business leaders all over the world. When people are seeking clarity about their future or want to move through roadblocks, seen and unseen, they call Philip.
What separates Philip from a lot of coaches, speakers and gurus is originality. He brings new conversations to the table and spends an obscene amount of time thinking and challenging the status quo, instead of simply repackaging business & life hacking strategies.
- Philip gave me permission to go behind the curtain of his public persona to speak to the man who has lived the life that he lives
- Hear how who his parents were, influenced him to be who he is
- Hear what his biggest fear is
- He is committed to not letting people die with who they are still inside of them
- How do you determine what a person’s gift truly is
- Chasing vs. allowing vs. nudging it a little bit
- Sometimes people would rather fail at who they are not than have the courage to succeed at who they are.
- Allowing who you are to manifest
- So many people are doing things they do not want to do, living in places they do not want to live and living in the expectation that something will bring you joy that isn’t fair.
- If you are doing things that do not bring you joy for the money that supports your family, relook at your life and change your expectations to fit your situation
- Or change your situation to rise up to your expectation
- I am making an impact in the world and helping people but I am not happy because I do not like myself.
- The tradeoff is based on a story you are telling yourself that may or may not be true. What if those stories are not true and how would it feel to put those stories down and look at the world without that story.
- The Old Hag and The Socialite
- People are afraid to allow themselves to look at their relationships and see what they have but see how much more is possible.
- We see it the most on the other side of the conversation when a person is dying.
- What scares you the most?
- becoming too important in my world scares me
- 95% of the people who do what I do think they know all the answers
- How do you prevent yourself from having that happen
- Hear what Philip does
- The slippage is already happening. You must realize it.
- How he checks himself in that slippage
- There are people who do not step up to be themselves because they are worried about falling into this trap
- A conversation he had with his daughter
- I share my vulnerability to keep myself grounded
- Who can access us better, ourselves or someone else?
- What is coming up for him right now
- One Last Talk- what it is?
- Giving voice to the people that have no voice
- Resistance of what we have been given is as bad as gloating in it
- What is Humility?
- Accepting what is in front of us vs. resisting it.
- What do you want people to walk away from the experience of One Last Talk
- What is the meaning behind this concept
- What happens when we think this is the last talk we will ever give
- The last creates an urgency that is not there at other times
- What has most surprised Philip in the work he has done?
- The clarity they have even when they don't know they have it
- When they get out of their own way, it comes so clearly
- What is the pivot point?
- Wake up calls
- The elephant moment
- What would a wake up call being trying to tell you today?
- I spent my whole life hiding and my greatest work is still to come when I stop hiding.
- What makes you still hide
- The fear of rejection
- The book in our back pocket we are scared to write
- What would your book say?
- What is it you don’t want to let people know that you know you have to let people know
- Not hiding anything but rather there is a part of me that asks is your greatest work still to come.
- The thing we feel that doesn’t have value is the most valuable part of us
- What that place is in Philip
- I am still hiding the pain and anguish I have had in life.
- And when Philip goes deeper into this, hear what emerges
- An experience of something that happened that I have never shared with anyone before?
- The story of what happened in the safest place he ever was in
- The experience of everything disappearing and what emerges that changes the life of the person he was with
- An incredibly vulnerable story
- How the book in your back pocket holds the secret to our greatness.
- The ultimate connection
- The governor we put on our own success.
- The one thing I believe I can influence in the world.
Ways to get in touch with Philip:
Ways to get in touch with Danny:
please subscribe to The Mosaic Podcast on Apple
and give us a 5* rating.
And fnally, please buy the Mosaic on Amazon: http://a.co/dvgsgG3