3. Making Literacy Instruction Effective By Using Essential Questions
Episode 3 is all about creating and using essential questions to move your literacy instruction forward. Essential questions help with student inquiry and accountability with internalizing the standards and skills that are required to be mastered. When we can begin crafting and implementing essential questions in reading and writing, our students will begin thinking deeper.
- What is an essential question?
- Step 1: Begin with academic standards or desired learning outcomes and choose your main concept
- Step 2: Turn the concept or desired learning outcome into a question
- Step 3: Become your students
- Step 4: Refine your question(s)
- Step 5: Provide opportunities for active exploration
- Learn the benefits of using essential questions during your literacy block
Connect with Megan on social media:
If you are enjoying The Literacy Dive, please subscribe, and leave a review on iTunes!