Holding Space for Each Other and Ourselves with Carina Lyall, Episode 10
Carina Lyall empowers women through creating a compassionate space for them to be heard and gather in community through her storywork sessions and women’s circles.
Carina is such an honest, wise, fun, and down-to-earth woman, and I was so encouraged by our conversation. As women, we have the power to uplift one another and ourselves through providing that compassionate space, and that is my wish for all of us.
- When becoming a mother isn’t how we imagined it would be...
- Postpartum depression and difficult feelings
- The healing power of story in her own life
- Becoming a mother of three girls
- Why she chose to do storywork rather than coaching
- Social media and the challenge of finding time for friends
- Honoring the everyday
- Women’s circles
- Honoring our body’s need for rest, even when others may not understand or approve
- Knowing ourselves intimately and holding space for ourselves when we feel emotional
- Getting to know our own cycles and passing our knowledge on to our daughters
- Quiet moments of self-care
- “It’s quite special I think to just allow someone to have a voice without going in there to fix them or going in to strategize how they’re going to come out the other end, just giving a woman a breathing space to say this is how I felt, and this is what happened to me, and not making them feel wrong for having that experience.” ~Carina Lyall
- “It ain't no sin, to take off your skin and dance around in your bones.” ~Tom Waits
Links and Books Mentioned In This Episode:
- Carina’s beautiful website, Carinalyall.com
- Siblings Without Rivalry
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
- I did some searching, and I found a couple of articles about friendship and oxytocin, here and here.
- A Breath of Happiness, essential oils from Happiness Mama
Win a Free Bottle of Essential Oil:
Feeling lucky, mama? Visit happinessmama.com/oils and fill out my short survey for a chance to win a bottle of Young Living essential oil.
Curious about how you can use essential oils for self-care and wellness? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spread the Word:
If you enjoyed the podcast and want to help other mamas be happier, too, visit iTunes or Stitcher and kindly leave me a rating, review, and subscribe. More ratings and reviews lead to more eyes and ears seeing and hearing the podcast. Thank you!
How to Subscribe to the Happiness Mama Podcast:
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to listen on Google Play Music
Stay in Touch:
Never miss an episode!
Sign up for the Happiness Mama Newsletter and get a free guided meditation to relax and release tension and stress.
Also if you want to join a wonderful community of like-minded women, come on over to the Community. It’s a free, kind, and supportive community of women consciously creating our happiest lives and encouraging each other along the journey.
Thank you so much for listening! I hope this podcast helps you be a little bit happier, and remember, self-care is not selfish, it’s essential.