#26: Habits — Writing
Nono's daily writing process, tools, and techniques.
I believe the ultimate goal of writing is to touch others; to make our words resonate with our readers. Today my spoken words are for you.
This episode is part of an experimental series titled Habits in which I share how myself (and others) do certain things and why, hopefully unveiling workflows, techniques, habits, and routines that you can make use of right away. Specifically, this episode focuses on writing and what's helping me write more consistently. I share the software tools and gadgets that I use on a daily basis to journal and write essays, posts, and episodes, and to review and edit my writing.
- Typinator for macOS
- The "commonplace" book was a personal repository of notes
- How to format your WhatsApp messages
- iA Writer is my editor of choice
- Dropbox Paper
- My sketches
- Mercury extension for Google Chrome
- Send to Kindle extension for Google Chrome by Amazon
- iA Writer templates
- Syntax typeface
- Bembo typeface
- iA Writer duospace
- The zine went viral on Hacker News
- The zine sketch and post
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Brother HL-L2375DW printer
- Rapesco 790 long-arm stapler
- Xerox 80-gram recycled paper
- Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant
- On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- You Can't Make This Stuff Up by Lee Gutkind
- Where Good Ideas Come From by Steven Johnson
- When by Daniel Pink
Other people mentioned
- The Habit. [0:48]
- The Daily File. [3:20]
- The Writing Queue. [9:16]
- Tools. [9:46]
- Reviewing. [12:05]
- Printing. [17:00]
- Sharing. [21:58]
Submit your questions and I'll try to answer them in future episodes. I'd love to hear from you.
Join us on Discord and introduce yourself to the community.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
Show notes, transcripts, and past episodes at gettingsimple.com/podcast.
Theme song Sleep by Steve Combs under CC BY 4.0.