How To Start An Eco-Friendly & Socially Responsible Cookie Business with Barry Sherman
For Barry Sherman and his life partner, Scott, their cookie business is about a lot more than the cookies!
Since 2018, Barry and Scott have run their eco-friendly and socially-conscious cookie business, Urban Bakers, in Tampa Bay, FL.
Initially they started from home due to Scott being diagnosed with early onset of Parkinson’s Disease, but they quickly expanded to a commercial kitchen.
Their dense quarter-pound cookies are very unique. They come individually-wrapped in compostable bags with compostable labels, and the quality of the ingredients is top-notch. They also come in a variety of flavors, including root beer float, piña colada, and spicy dark chocolate chili.
In addition to operating their business as sustainably as possible, they also give back by donating a portion of each sale to a different charity each month.
Barry talks about the triumphs, challenges, and surprises of running a high-end drop cookie business, and what he’s learned along the way.What You’ll Learn
- How Parkinson’s Disease impacted the start of their business
- The benefits of selling individually-wrapped cookies
- Where to source compostable bags and labels, and what they cost
- How donating a portion of revenue to charity can increase your sales
- How to charge high prices for drop cookies
- The inspiration behind Urban Bakers’ fun and mythical brand
- The challenges of moving from a home kitchen to a commercial kitchen
- How to ship cookies nationwide without them breaking in the mail
- Can you run a cottage food business if you have a full-time job?
- Urban Bakers’ exciting selection as an approved vendor for Super Bowl LV
- How your business can take you places you never dreamed of
- Why manufacturing products is only 15% of a business
- The importance of listening to customers and catering your product line to them
- Why all of their cookies are the same price, including their vegan cookies
- The benefit of adding a QR code to labels and marketing materials
Get full show notes and transcript here: https://forrager.com/podcast/25