Bringing Artisan European Bread To America with Yuliya Childers
When Yuliya Childers moved from Ukraine to the United States, she lost one of the most fundamental staples from her homeland: good bread.
Yuliya is a classically-trained pianist, but when she started making the sourdough bread from her childhood, she found that others wanted a slice as well.
She now lives in Prattville, AL and has fully shifted from a musical career to running her home artisan bread business, Wild Yeast Kitchen.
Yuliya’s story is one of passion, dedication, and plain hard work. Every single Friday, she works for 24+ hours straight to prepare a couple hundred loaves and pastries for her Saturday market.
She also runs a bread subscription service, with many customers getting her delicious items every single week. And she does all of this bread making from one regular home oven!
Yuliya shares some amazing stories in this episode, including her immigration story, the time she brought a customer to tears, and how she sold bread for many years to pay for bread school.What You’ll Learn
- How Yuliya rediscovered the lost bread from her childhood in Ukraine
- Why European-style artisan bread is much better than American-style bread
- How to use a home oven for artisan bread making
- What Yuliya learned from the SF Baking Institute, and what techniques she applies at home
- Yuliya’s baking process, which involves a 24+ hour workday every single week!
- Why bread bakers need to be willing to work in the middle of the night
- How to educate customers on the benefits of sourdough bread
- Why Yuliya offers 13 different varieties of bread at every market
- How to run a CSB, or community supported bakery (a bread subscription service)
- Why Yuliya transitioned from being an accomplished pianist to being a bread baker
- How to leverage local Facebook groups to grow your business
- Yuliya’s inspiring immigration story from Ukraine to the US
- How your business can impact people in surprising ways
CSAware by Local Harvest (subscription service software)
Get full show notes and transcript here: https://forrager.com/podcast/24