Shape Your Life: Trauma Informed Boxing
Georgia interviews Cathy Van Ingen from Brock University in Toronto, Canada. Cathy is a researcher looking at gender-based violence, boxing, trauma-informed physical activity, geographies of sport and physical activity, sport media, youth culture and sport for development.
Cathy founded Shape Your Life, a free, non-contact boxing program for female-identified people who have experienced violence.
In this episode we discuss:
- The history of women in boxing
- The difference between trauma-informed boxing and regular boxing (Choice and invitation, a safe environment, taking care of food, transport and other need, no obligation to tell your story, giving women the space to experience their emotions)
- The outcomes of shape your life
- Stories of amazing women that have participated in Shape Your Life
- How Cathy got government funding
- Advice for female trauma survivors