What Our Kids Don’t Learn In School Is The Key To Their Success And Happiness with Goldie Hawn
Throughout school, we learn arithmetic, biology, and how to read and write. But we don’t learn how to manage stress, understand our emotions, or connect the feelings in our bodies with the thoughts in our heads. Most of us don’t even really know how to breathe in a way that truly serves us. What if our children could learn these essential life skills early on? That’s the question Goldie Hawn asked herself after meeting kids all over the world and seeing their need for self-regulation. Today, I’m so excited to sit down with her to talk about the program she created and how it’s helped so many children grow into successful, grounded, emotionally intelligent adults.
Goldie Hawn is an Academy Award-winning actress, producer, director, best-selling author, and true children’s advocate. She is the Founder of The Goldie Hawn Foundation, a public charity with a mission to equip children with the social and emotional skills they need to lead smarter, healthier, happier, and ultimately more productive lives. Alarmed by increases in school violence, youth depression and suicide, and the persistent failure of the education system to help children cope with increasingly stressful lives, Goldie started The Goldie Hawn Foundation in 2003, applying cutting edge scientific research to create educational programs that support the social and emotional development of children. Working with leading neuroscientists, educators, psychologists, and researchers, the Foundation developed MindUP™ an evidence-based curriculum and teaching model for grades K-12 that provide tools to help children self-regulate and understand their own emotions, reduce stress and anxiety, sharpen concentration, increase empathy, and improve academic performance.
This episode is brought to you by TrueDark, BiOptimizers, and Tushy.
TrueDark Daylights help prevent eye strain and headaches from overexposure to junk light and TrueDark Twilights collection for nighttime helps you get deeper sleep. TrueDark is offering podcast listeners 15% with code DRHYMAN15. Just go to truedark.com/hyman.
Right now, BiOptimizers is offering Doctor’s Farmacy listeners 10% off your Magnesium Breakthrough order. Just go to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and use code HYMAN10 to receive this amazing offer.
The Tushy bidet is a sleek attachment that clips onto your existing toilet and connects to the water supply behind your toilet to spray you with clean, fresh water. Right now, Tushy is offering 10% off, just go to hellotushy.com/HYMAN.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- Goldie’s quest to seek and understand joy and happiness (9:12)
- Goldie’s personal experience with depression, what she learned from it, and how it led to the development of MindUP (11:04)
- How MindUP serves as an antidote to the burdens that children face in today’s world (16:59)
- Empowering children to manage stress (18:45)
- The science of happiness, gratitude, and training of the mind (22:03)
- The importance of understanding the brain and taking “brain breaks” to self-regulate (27:05)
- Enhancing brain development to improve health and societal outcomes in children (32:14)
- Savoring happiness, random acts of kindness, and the biology of altruism (36:04)
- Goldie’s advice for following your dreams and passions at any stage of life (47:09)
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.