Returning To Ancient Remedies To Promote Health with Dr. Josh Axe
Modern medicine has come a long way, there’s no doubt about it. But our ancient ancestors had an in-depth understanding of how to use food and plants as medicine and this wisdom still holds true today. Our conventional medical system heavily relies on prescription medication to silence, or “manage,” symptoms. I call this the “pill-for-ever-ill” model of medicine. This often turns into a lifelong dependence without ever getting to the root of the problem. If we instead look at where the imbalance is stemming from and use a variety of tools to treat it—like food, stress reduction, herbs, etc.—we can see profound improvements and, many times, a reversal of disease.
I was so happy to connect with Dr. Josh Axe to talk more about how ancient remedies can help us create the vibrant health we deserve and avoid lifelong health struggles. Dr. Axe is a certified doctor of natural medicine, a doctor of chiropractic, and a clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people get healthy by empowering them to use nutrition to fuel their health. He is the bestselling author of Keto Diet, Eat Dirt, and Collagen Diet and author of the book Ancient Remedies. He is also the co-founder of Ancient Nutrition, which provides protein powders, holistic supplements, vitamins, essential oils and more to the modern world. Dr. Axe founded the natural health website DrAxe.com, one of the top natural health websites in the world today.
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley, ButcherBox, and Athletic Greens.
Paleovalley is offering 15% off your entire first order. Just go to paleovalley.com/hyman to check out all their clean Paleo products and take advantage of this deal.
When you sign up for ButcherBox today, you can get 2 lbs of wild-caught Alaskan salmon free in your first box. Just go to butcherbox.com/farmacy.
Athletic Greens is offering Doctor’s Farmacy listeners a full year supply of their Vitamin D3/K2 Liquid Formula free with your first purchase, plus 5 free travel packs. Just go to athleticgreens.com/hyman to take advantage of this great offer.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- The health crisis in Dr. Axe’s family that led to his interest in ancient remedies (6:32)
- Our modern healthcare system’s overreliance on pharmaceuticals (11:30)
- Getting to the root cause of hypothyroidism (14:23)
- How many pharmaceutical drugs result in nutrient depletion (16:21)
- Antibiotics in our food (18:08)
- Ancient practices of using food as medicine (26:06)
- Personalized medicine, using spices and herbs to optimize health, and how emotions drive disease (32:39)
- Supporting our immune system to make ourselves more resilient to COVID-19, in addition to other illness and disease (35:53)
- The benefits of the CBD compound (41:41)
- Ancient remedies for PCOS, cancer, and hypothyroidism (44:50)
Learn more about Dr. Josh Axe at https://draxe.com/ and get his book, Ancient Remedies: Secrets to Healing with Herbs, Essential Oils, CBD, and the Most Powerful Natural Medicine in History Hardcover at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316496456.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.