Is Cancer Caused By Sugar? with Dr. Jason Fung
If you or someone you know has had cancer, this episode is going to matter to you. And since the odds are now that 1 in 3 adults in the US will get cancer, this really is a topic that matters to all of us.
The school of thought around cancer used to be focused only on the genetic component. But we now know that our environment—the air we breathe, the food we eat, even our relationships—have an enormous cellular impact on our ability to prevent and treat cancer.
I’m excited to sit down with Dr. Jason Fung on this episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy to talk about his amazing work in the field of cancer research and why this environmental component should give us all hope.
Dr. Fung is a physician, author, and researcher. His groundbreaking science-based books about diabetes and obesity, The Diabetes Code, The Obesity Code, and The Complete Guide to Fasting have sold over one million copies and challenged the conventional wisdom that diabetics should be treated with insulin. Dr. Fung is also the co-founder of The Fasting Method, a program to help people lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes naturally with fasting. His latest book, The Cancer Code: A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery, was just released.
This episode is brought to you by Bioptimizers, Thrive Market, and Apeel.
Bioptimizers’ Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains 7 different forms which all have different functions in the body. There is truly nothing like it on the market. Right now you can try Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off, just go to bioptimizers.com/hyman and use the code HYMAN10 at checkout.
Right now, Thrive is offering all Doctor's Farmacy listeners an amazing deal. Select a free gift from Thrive Market when you sign up for a 1-year membership. And, any time you spend more than $49 you’ll get free carbon-neutral shipping. Just head over to thrivemarket.com/Hyman.
Food waste is one of our most glaring environmental, climate, and social problems. Apeel, a family of plant-derived coatings that, when applied to the outside of produce, keeps it fresh two times longer, is doing amazing things to extend the shelf life of fruits and vegetables. If you want to learn more about Apeel, check out their frequently asked questions page at apeel.com/faqs.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- How our understanding of cancer and cancer treatment has shifted over the past several decades (7:10)
- Why cancer medicine has fallen behind other areas of medicine (11:19)
- The major role that diet and nutrition play in the development of cancer (13:05)
- What we can learn about cancer from Inuit people and other populations who historically ate traditional diets (16:57)
- Insulin’s role in cell growth, cancer development, and chronic disease (21:47)
- Snacking, fasting, cancer, and chemotherapy (29:49)
- The ketogenic diet and cancer treatment (38:02)
- The risks of environmental chemicals on the human body (41:09)
- How to reduce your risk of getting cancer, and the link between obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cancer (43:57)
- New thinking around cancer screenings (49:07)
Learn more about Dr. Jason Fung and get his new book, The Cancer Code, at https://thefastingmethod.com/book/the-cancer-code/.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.