Becoming Nobody: The Key To Freedom And Happiness with Rameshwar Das
Our higher and lower-self are always around, but who are we listening to most of the time? Who is having the conversation in our heads? Taking a deeper look at my level of awareness led me to study Buddhism in college and though I changed course to pursue a career in medicine, spiritual growth has always remained a passion for me. I think as humans we need a mass recognition that we are all one; we need to see that inside we’re all the same. Learning from others is a key part of the journey to greater awareness and there are so many teachers I’ve found throughout my life that have helped me do that. Today’s guest on The Doctor’s Farmacy is one of them.
Rameshwar Das has been navigating a spiritual path for 50 years. Ramesh met Ram Dass in 1968 and spent time with Neem Karoli Baba in India from 1970-72. He learned Vipassana meditation from Goenka in India. Ramesh has worked as an artist, photographer, environmentalist, and writer. He has collaborated on many projects with Ram Dass over the years, including the original Be Here Now, and the Love Serve Remember recordings, and is co-author with Ram Dass on three books, Be Love Now, Polishing the Mirror, and Being Ram Dass.
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley, Joovv, and Athletic Greens.
Paleovalley is offering 15% off your entire first order. Just go to paleovalley.com/hyman to check out all their clean Paleo products and take advantage of this deal.
Right now, Joovv is offering Doctor’s Farmacy listeners an exclusive discount on Joovv’s Generation 3.0 devices. Just go to Joovv.com/farmacy and use the code FARMACY. Some exclusions do apply.
Athletic Greens is offering Doctor’s Farmacy listeners a full year supply of their Vitamin D3/K2 Liquid Formula free with your first purchase, plus 5 free travel packs. Just go to athleticgreens.com/hyman to take advantage of this great offer.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- The cultural influence of Ram Dass’ book Be Here Now (6:21)
- Ram Dass’ heart-opening introduction to Maharaji Neem Karoli Baba (9:33)
- Maharaji Neem Karoli Baba simple teachings to love and serve everybody, including yourself (15:05)
- Maharaji Neem Karoli Baba’s LSD trips, the surprising lack of effects from the drugs, and what it implies about the ego and the soul (21:33)
- Ram Dass’ personal journey and teachings around getting out of the ego (31:00)
- Becoming Nobody, the documentary about Ram Dass’ life, and the practices that sustained him (33:50)
- How Ram Dass approached life after his stroke, aging, and death (40:13)
- The infinite soul and impermanence of life (44:18)
- Developing a loving awareness of your higher self (56:41)
- Applying Ram Dass’ teaching and wisdom to today’s world (1:02:37)
Get a copy of Being Ram Dass at https://www.amazon.com/Being-Ram-Dass/dp/1683646282/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=being+ram+dass&qid=1611259838&sr=8-1
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.