The Case for Investing in Sports Teams, With Jonathan Boyar
Jonathan Boyar, principal at Boyar Value Group, joins the podcast to discuss the merits of investing in the public equity of professional sports teams.
Boyar is specifically bullish on the Liberty Braves Group (NASDAQ: BATRA), a tracking stock that consists of the Atlanta Braves Major League Baseball team and real estate development.
Content Segments (Spotify users can click on the timestamp to link to the segment directly):
- Sports teams as investments and two that have the guest's attention at present (3:34);
- Liberty Braves discussion (5:50);
- Why now? "You're at a point of maximum pessimism," with MLB specifically (8:24);
- The opportunity brought by sports gambling (14:06);
- Background on the guest (16:38);
- The Boyar Value Group's investing style (19:15) and recent purchase of Twitter (20:50);
- The makeup of the firm's portfolio and how it deviates from the S&P 500 (24:22);
- The opportunity with Hanesbrands (26:40).
For more information on the guest:
- Website: BoyarValueGroup.com
- Twitter: @BoyarValue
- Video of presentation at Contrarian Investor Virtual Conference No. 2
Not intended as investment advice.