Opportunities May Be Brewing in Cyclical Stocks: Christian Putz, ARR Investments
Become a premium member and receive episodes earlier and without ads or announcements! Sign up here for just $8/month or $88/year (these prices increase Nov. 1)
Christian Putz is an Austrian-born hedge fund manager currently based in London. His fund has outperformed benchmarks this year during one of the more unpredictable periods in recent memory.
Behind this success is an understanding and appreciation of the big-picture macro environment. Only when that is taken into account does the fund look at individual stocks.
Right now the macro picture is mostly benign with the U.S. election looming. Many sectors remain strong. There are buying opportunities brewing, especially in the oil and gas industry.
Content (Spotify users can skip to the segment directly by clicking on the timestamp)
- The macro picture versus individual stocks and where things stand right now (7:28);
- Economically, things look rather benign. Buying opportunities may abound in the energy industry especially (13:09);
- Risks "are more to the upside," with steepening yield curve. This may bode well for the financial sector (16:05);
- Recent months have seen a rebound in copper prices. That may be overdone. There is a bear market case to be made post election (18:38);
- Background on the guest (22:39);
- The fund's current portfolio allocation (32:10);
- The benefits of utilities right now (33:42);
For more information on the guest:
Not intended as investment advice.