Open source goes to Mars 🚀
This week we’re talking about open source on Mars. Martin Woodward (Senior Director of Developer Relations at GitHub) joins us to talk about the new Mars badge GitHub introduced. This collaboration between GitHub and NASA confirmed nearly 12,000 people contributed code, documentation, graphic design, and more to the open source software that made Ingenuity’s launch possible. Today’s show is a celebration of this human achievement and the impact of open source on space exploration as we know it.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- InfluxData – InfluxDays EMEA 2021 Virtual Experience (May 18-19) — InfluxDays is an event focused on the impact of time series data. Find out why time series databases are the fastest growing database segment providing real-time observability of your solutions. Get practical advice and insight from the engineers and developers behind InfluxDB, the leading time series database. Learn more and register for free at influxdays.com
- Retool – Retool is a low-code platform built specifically for developers that makes it fast and easy to build internal tools. Instead of building internal tools from scratch, the world’s best teams, from startups to Fortune 500s, are using Retool to power their internal apps. Learn more and try it for free at retool.com/changelog
- O'Reilly Media – Learn by doing — Python, data, AI, machine learning, Kubernetes, Docker, and more. Just open your browser and dive in. Learn more and keep your teams’ skills sharp at oreilly.com/changelog
- LaunchDarkly – Ship fast. Rest easy. Deploy code at any time, even if a feature isn’t ready to be released to your users. Wrap code in feature flags to get the safety to test new features and infrastructure in prod without impacting the wrong end users.
- Martin Woodward – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Open source goes to Mars 🚀
- Open Source on Mars: Community powers NASA’s Ingenuity Helicopter
- The Mars Helicopter, Ingenuity
- The .NET Foundation
- James Webb Space Telescope
- Maintainer Week
- The Changelog #436: Curl is a full-time job (and turns 23) with Daniel Stenberg
- The Changelog #411: Inside GitHub’s Arctic Code Vault
- The Changelog #370: The making of GitHub Sponsors with Devon Zuegel
- GitHub Skyline