Curl is a full-time job (and turns 23)
This week we’re talking with Daniel Stenberg about 23 years of curl. Daniel shares how curl came to be, what drives and motivates him, maintaining a good cadence of an open source product, what to expect from http3, how many billions of users curl has, and Daniel also shares some funny stories like the “Spotify and Instagram hacking ring.”
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Linode – Get $100 in free credit to get started on Linode – Linode is our cloud of choice and the home of Changelog.com. Head to linode.com/changelog OR text CHANGELOG to 474747 to get instant access to that $100 in free credit.
- Retool – Retool makes it super simple to build back-office apps in hours, not days. The tool is is built by engineers, explicitly for engineers. Learn more and try it for free at retool.com/changelog
- O'Reilly Media – Learn by doing — Python, data, AI, machine learning, Kubernetes, Docker, and more. Just open your browser and dive in. Learn more and keep your teams’ skills sharp at oreilly.com/changelog
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Daniel Stenberg – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- The Changelog #153: 17 Years of curl with Daniel Stenberg
- The Changelog: BONUS — Magic cURL Feature
- The Changelog #299: Curl turns 20, HTTP/2, QUIC with Daniel Stenberg
- Half of curl’s vulnerabilities are C mistakes
- curl is C
- Rust in curl with Hyper
- “I will slaughter you”
- curl Commercial Support
- Everything curl: –libcurl
- The Changelog #389: Securing the web with Let’s Encrypt featuring Josh Aas