Scott Gonzalez: Energy in Insight
There are two quotes that set the tone for this week’s The Business of intuition: “How you do one thing is how you do everything.”, which I heard from a yoga instructor, and, “wherever you go, there you are”, which is the title of a book by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
Both quotes tell us:
- We can never escape ourselves,
- Every action, relationship, experience contains a lesson,
- And, if we want to change the outside world, we first need to change ourselves.
My guest this week on The Business of Intuition teaches based on these principles. Mr. Scott Gonzalez is a 7th degree black belt and owner of Desert Dragons Kenpo Karate. Scott conducts Kenpo seminars worldwide, and teaches hundreds of students, young and old, every week. His art is not just Kenpo Karate, but the art of facilitating, seeing and drawing out the best in people, and helping his students make the connection between what happens on the karate mat and what happens at work, school or at home with family.
In this fascinating discussion Scott shares many gems about life, art, intuition and reaching one’s highest and best potential.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Scott Gonzalez discuss:
- Be present. This is where all innovation, creativity and connection happen,
- Take people where they are at, not where you want them to be,
- Help people transition from analytical to intuitive thinking. Provide a foundation (for karate that might be a foundation of techniques, kicking, striking, footwork), then encourage learning through asking questions, and give them time to learn at their own pace,
- Develop a personal relationship with everyone you work with,
- “Don’t be in fight”, when confronted with conflict. Negative energy meeting negative energy only creates more. You can still maintain boundaries and hold people accountable without being in the fight. In fact, it’s more effective if you don’t match their negative energy,
- Create a personal challenge. People won’t push themselves, won’t have the desire to transform if they don’t have a goal that will challenge them,
- Learn through your body. The physical holds the unconscious patterns and blocks. By introducing new movement patterns, you break old physical and emotional patterns.
- Being in a state of flow while assessing clients. Having a heightened sense of awareness, accessing the intuition, tuning into your feeling, and senses.
- Tuning into your mind and body’s ability to meld around things. Be able to move and not absorb negative energy, instead, allowing it to go through or around you.
- Use language in a way that helps people think in a different way through using their senses using their brains to create an image or story.
- Build a personal relationship by giving your undivided attention. Make every person that you are working with feel special, even if it’s just for a few seconds.
- Create direction by providing a challenge in building toward larger goals to enable a stronger person to emerge.
"Combat is a battle of energy. Defend yourself but don’t engage in with the energy of anger and revenge.” — Scott Gonzalez
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Scott Gonzalez:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Kristen Braun
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You're the expert. Your podcast will prove it.