S2 036: Robert Baker — Find the Humor in the Drama and Kill the Table Read
Today, I’m sitting down with actor and writer, Robert Baker. Robert has built a decades long career in film and television across all genres from comedy to drama and everything in between. Born in Memphis, Tennessee, Robert and his father both shared artistic interests. His father played in a rock band while Robert followed his passion for performing and went on to study at USC’s acting program in California. He gained experience and honed his craft by performing in student films, school productions, as well as in his own productions which eventually led to bigger opportunities where he was first cast as a series regular in a pilot. Even so, Robert recalls what it was like in his early years to get cast in pilots that never made it to series and then how easily agent interest came and went.
Since then, Robert has built strong working relationships with some of the biggest producers, writers, and casting directors in the business. He shares the valuable lessons he learned from the late, great Mally Finn who taught him the difference between planning a moment and existing in a moment. He shares his experience of working opposite Hollywood powerhouses Denzel Washington and George Clooney and what those experiences taught him about keeping every take fresh and different.
Of the many incredible insights shared today, Robert emphasizes the importance of bringing everything you’ve got to the table read. He breaks down the differences between drama and comedy and explains that when it comes to comedic timing, the jokes need to hit hard or they won’t hit at all. His skill, talent, and history of successful table reads has earned him credits in notable projects including Blindspot, Supergirl, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Valentine, The Lone Ranger, G.I. Joe, Indiana Jones, True Blood, The Originals, Justified and many more.
These are the unforgettable stories that landed Robert Baker right here.
For exclusive content surrounding this and all podcast episodes, sign up for our amazing newsletter at AlyshiaOchse.com. And don't forget to snap and post a photo while listening to the show and tag me (@alyshiaochse)!
- COURSE: Creating great characters and existing in each moment has landed some of the best actors and storytellers on That One Audition. To uplevel your character building check out CONTENT IS CONFIDENCE
- CONSULTING: Consulting with Alyshia Ochse
- COACHING: Coaching with Alyshia Ochse
- SUBSCRIBE: To dive deeper into each episode, plus receive exclusive bonuses related to the show, come join the newsletter here
- INSTAGRAM: Be sure to snap a screenshot and tag me @alyshiaochse and @thatoneaudition as you're listening to this week's episode.
- ONE MORE THING!: Make sure to subscribe to the podcast to stay up to date on the latest artist insights and relatable journeys:
- WRITER: Erin McCluskey
- SOUND DESIGN: Zachary Jameson
- WEBSITE & GRAPHICS: Chase Jennings
- ASSISTANT: Elle Powell
- SOCIAL OUTREACH: Bebe Katsenes