S2 034: Jack Huston — Falling Back in Love with the Craft
Today’s guest comes from a long line of award-winning actors in Hollywood with family members that include household names such as Anjelica and Danny Huston. Even so, actor Jack Huston has worked tirelessly over the years to forge his own unique career path and to find his own success. Jack grew up in London, England and came from a theater educational background. Upon moving to America, Jack realized that he still had a lot to learn about the difference in skill sets between theater and film acting. While many believe that those who are born into the entertainment industry have a leg up on all the rest of us, Jack speaks honestly and vulnerably about the 7 years he spent in Los Angeles broke and out of work.
After 7 years of struggle, Jack had to bravely admit to himself that he was no longer feeling the love for the profession that he once had, and made the decision to leave acting for the time being to travel, live abroad, and reassess what was truly important to him. Today, Jack discusses how fighting for an audition for a character he was not selected to read for, was what turned things around for him and pushed him to continue in his craft.
From his work on Fargo, to Boardwalk Empire, The Irishman, Antebellum, Ben-Hur, Manhunt, and many more, today’s discussion includes a rare level of honesty as Jack shares valuable insight on everything from technique, to the business, as well as something that’s often less talked about.. the value of taking a break when you feel yourself falling out of love with the industry.
For exclusive content surrounding this and all podcast episodes, sign up for our amazing newsletter at AlyshiaOchse.com. And don't forget to snap and post a photo while listening to the show and tag me (@alyshiaochse)!
- WHAT'S MY FRAME: Learn the basic frames used in filmmaking and how to incorporate them to create dynamic and engaging self-tape auditions. Click here to get $30 off the course
- INSTAGRAM: @alyshiaochse
- INSTAGRAM: @thatoneaudition
- WEBSITE: AlyshiaOchse.com
- ITUNES: Subscribe to That One Audition on iTunes
- SPOTIFY: Subscribe to That One Audition on Spotify
- STITCHER: Subscribe to That One Audition on Stitcher
- WRITER: Erin McCluskey
- SOUND DESIGN: Zachary Jameson
- WEBSITE & GRAPHICS: Chase Jennings
- ASSISTANT: Elle Powell
- SOCIAL OUTREACH: Bebe Katsenes