S2 032: Josh Pais — Inner Energy Patterns and Surrendering to the Unknown
Today, I sit down with actor, writer, director and prominent acting coach, Josh Pais. Having had a successful, decades long career, Josh credits his approach to the craft to his parents. His mother, a creative free spirit and his father, a theoretical physicist, lead Josh to a method of training that uses physicality to get to a space of spontaneity in his art, a method that he compares to what it feels like to “play in a laboratory.”
This discovery led him to founding the Committed Impulse actor training program which has provided both industry stars, as well as those just starting out, with the tools to overcome fear and create truthful, in the moment performances with a method he calls “inner atomics” which recognizes emotions simply as energy patterns in our bodies. Josh teaches that true artistic creation cannot exist without bravely stepping into the unknown, a mantra he himself uses every time he steps into a scene. He also shares what teaching has taught him about his own work both in front and behind the camera by discussing his passion for storytelling through the making of his own documentary over the course of 10 years. His extensive list of credits includes roles in Showtimes’ Ray Donovan, HBO’s Mrs. Fletcher, Netflix’s Maniac, NBC’s Law and Order, TV Land’s Younger, as well as the major box office success film, Joker.
Josh acknowledges that what we do as storytellers can be both scary and vulnerable, but teaches that standing confidently in our own truth, is also the greatest gift that we as performers can give.
- WEBSITE: CommittedImpulse.com
- BLOG: CommittedImpulse.com/blog
- IMDB: Josh Pais
- INSTAGRAM: @JoshPais
- TWITTER: @JoshPais
- AMAZON: 7th Street DVD
For exclusive content surrounding this and all podcast episodes, sign up for our amazing newsletter at AlyshiaOchse.com. And don't forget to snap and post a photo while listening to the show and tag me (@alyshiaochse)!
- WHAT'S MY FRAME: Learn the basic frames used in filmmaking and how to incorporate them to create dynamic and engaging self-tape auditions. Click here to get $30 off the course
- INSTAGRAM: @alyshiaochse
- INSTAGRAM: @thatoneaudition
- WEBSITE: AlyshiaOchse.com
- ITUNES: Subscribe to That One Audition on iTunes
- SPOTIFY: Subscribe to That One Audition on Spotify
- STITCHER: Subscribe to That One Audition on Stitcher
- WRITER: Erin McCluskey
- SOUND DESIGN: Zachary Jameson
- WEBSITE & GRAPHICS: Chase Jennings
- ASSISTANT: Elle Powell
- SOCIAL OUTREACH: Bebe Katsenes