Ep 4 – Lift Off: Right-size your public cloud spending
As chief cloud economist at The Duckbill Group, Corey Quinn spends his days helping businesses understand and lasso public-cloud costs. In this episode, we sit down to talk about how telcos can control public cloud spending.
Listen in to learn how to analyze and predict spending and ensure you’re not leaving money on the table [2:49]. We also take a look at how balancing the needs of technology and finance teams can help with cloud optimization [5:07] and explore why it’s critical to architect for cost visibility and optimization from the beginning [7:45]. We wrap up with an opinionated conversation about why a multi-cloud approach is a losing proposition [9:15].
Corey Quinn is the chief cloud economist at The Duckbill Group. He specializes in helping companies address horrifying AWS bills; hosts the Screaming in the Cloud podcast; and curates Last Week in AWS, a weekly newsletter summarizing the latest in AWS news, blogs, and tools, sprinkled with snark.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform by choosing a link under the audio player above.
- You can find the transcript of this episode here.
- And in case you missed it, tune into the first and second episodes in this three-part series called Liftoff to hear me talk with cloud evangelist Troy O’Brien about planning your public cloud move and cloud architect Forrest Brazeal about managing a lift and shift strategy.
- Recommended Reading: Multi-cloud is The Worst Practice, by Corey Quinn
- Get a regular dose of Corey Quinn’s snark and insights by signing up for his newsletter on the Last Week in AWS website.
- Can’t get enough? Subscribe to his podcast and follow him on Twitter @QuinnyPig
Telco in 20: Episode 3 | Duration: 00:16:00
Lift Off: Telcos moving to the public cloud – beware of lift and shift
Lift Off, Part 2: Find out the key elements of a successful public cloud lift and shift strategy and when a poor migration plan will start to hurt, and why.
Telco in 20: Episode 2 | Duration: 00:16:17
Lift Off: Taking the first step
Lift Off, Part 1: The public cloud is central to the telecommunication industry’s evolution. Learn about steps that smooth the transition.
Telco in 20: Episode 1 | Duration: 00:15:14
It starts with…transformational leadership
Telco needs disruptive leaders with the courage to drive change. Find out what sets these trailblazers apart and why it takes big changes to big things to succeed.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to set up a meeting? Get in touch
- Follow on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!Podcast Credits
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio/Editor: Aaron Joslow, Rally Point Webinars
- Design/Branding: The Honor Roll