Thinking about Tech in the Present Tense w/ Ben Tarnoff
Paris Marx is joined by Ben Tarnoff to discuss why we should look to the Luddites for inspiration, how history could inform a better future of technology, and what tech organizing might look like under a Joe Biden administration.
Ben Tarnoff is a co-founder of Logic Magazine and co-authored “Voices from the Valley: Tech Workers Talk About What They Do–and How They Do It” with Moira Weigel. The book will be released in October and can be preordered now. Follow Ben on Twitter as @bentarnoff.
Tech Won't Save Us offers a critical perspective on tech, its worldview, and wider society with the goal of inspiring people to demand better tech and a better world. Follow the podcast (@techwontsaveus) and host Paris Marx (@parismarx) on Twitter.
Mentioned in this episode:
- “To decarbonize we must decomputerize: why we need a Luddite revolution” by Ben Tarnoff
- “From Manchester to Barcelona” by Ben Tarnoff
- “The Making of the Tech Worker Movement” by Ben Tarnoff
- “The Making of the English Working Class” by E.P. Thompson
- “The Machine Breakers” by Eric Hobsbawm
- “Present Tense Technology” by David Noble
Support the show (https://patreon.com/techwontsaveus)