Section 230 Protects Free Expression Online w/ Evan Greer
Paris Marx is joined by Evan Greer to discuss Republican and Democratic desires to amend or revoke Section 230, why the proposals won’t solve problems with Big Tech, and the international implications of US decisions about moderation.
Evan Greer is an activist, musician, and writer. She is the deputy director at Fight for the Future, which is currently running campaigns to protect Section 230 called Save Online Free Speech and to ban facial recognition technology. Follow Evan on Twitter as @evan_greer.
Tech Won’t Save Us offers a critical perspective on tech, its worldview, and wider society with the goal of inspiring people to demand better tech and a better world. Follow the podcast (@techwontsaveus) and host Paris Marx (@parismarx) on Twitter.
Find out more about Harbinger Media Network and follow it on Twitter as @harbingertweets.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Evan wrote about the problems with algorithmic amplification for Wired
- There is no anti-conservative bias on social media and Facebook’s algorithms connected extremists with hate groups
- Facebook removes the accounts of anti-government activists internationally and an internal memo by a former employee says it doesn’t care about its impacts if Western media won’t find out about it
- SESTA/FOSTA made life harder for sex workers, but has also empowered a movement for decriminalization
- Zoom deleted meetings discussing its own censorship
Support the show (https://patreon.com/techwontsaveus)