84. Grace-Filled Politics, with Aaron Schafer, author of The Politically Homeless Christian
Aaron Schafer has written an excellent book titled, The Politically Homeless Christian, in which he explores the current state of politics and how we as followers of Jesus are called to engage politically.
And that's what we talk about in this episode. If you, too, find yourself politically homeless, you will find this conversation incredibly valuable.
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Aaron Schafer is a blogger, podcaster, and author of The Politically Homeless Christian, as well as the Director of Sales for a company called Self-Publishing School.
- Aaron feels a deep sadness around the divisiveness in the United States.
- “The earth is not our home—and a political party certainly shouldn’t be.”
- In Episode 79, Markus spoke with Michael Cooper about the “the loss of evangelical identity,” and how hard it is to talk about Jesus in other parts of the world because Jesus has come to be identified with certain political positions, rather than with the good news of God’s love.
- Neither political party has a monopoly on good ideas.
- Grace-filled politics begins by embracing humility.
- “I wonder how much of what I believe politically I believe simply because I’ve always believed it.”
- Facebook feeds us content that merely confirms our worldview.
- Aaron Schafer shares his thoughts on the Second Amendment.
- We often listen in order to win an argument more than we listen to understand.
- Aaron shares his thoughts on the effectiveness of stimulus checks during the 2020 pandemic.
- It’s important for us to be able to change our minds when we get new information.
- “I hope as Christians we would err on the side of generosity.”
- You can find The Politically Homeless Christian on Amazon. The e-book will be available for .99 until Nov. 3, 2020 (election day).
- Aaron Schafer’s blog is www.aaronschaferblog.com.
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
- Aaron Schafer:
- Website: www.aaronschaferblog.com
- The Politically Homeless Christian, by Aaron Schafer
- Related episodes:
Instructions to leave a review of Spiritual Life and Leadership:
- Click HERE.
- Click on the link that says, "Listen on Apple Podcasts."
- In the window that opens, click the button that says, "Open Link." This will open iTunes.
- To the right of the Spiritual Life and Leadership logo, click "Ratings and Reviews."
- Under the heading, "Customer Reviews," click on the button that says, "Write a Review."
- Select the number of stars and write your review.
- Click submit.
I'd be so grateful if you did this. Thank you!
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I’ll receive a small commission–which will help pay for the Spiritual Life
Support the show (http://patreon.com/markuswatson)