Writing and Education in Crazy times with Andrew Pudewa of Institute for Excellence in Writing
While Writing isn’t exactly a soft skill, it is an invaluable hard skill that makes a feed back loop with the soft skills. Andrew Pudewa of IEW fame offers several tips to encourage this skill in crazy times.
- The top two things needed for your kids are; Language Skills (liberal arts), and Math skills (Logic/Stem/Arithmetic)
- Choose what is interesting, but also needed.
- Teach your kids how to memorize
- Especially poetry, this will teach them diction, and heavily ingrain a love for language and reading, which in turn will give them a love for learning.
- The 4 deadly errors of teaching writing:
- Over correction
- With holding help- if your child asks for it when writing, they probably need it.
- Unclear Assignments- Your child cannot follow instructions they don’t understand. Be clear.
- Over expectation- set a high bar, but be willing to give grace for learners.
Resources from IEW
- Language Acquisition Through Poetry
- Themed Based Writing Books
- Ancient History
- Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales
- People and Places
- All things fun and fascination
- With all of the resources in the world of homeschooling today, you can get the best of both worlds of Public School and Homeschool
True North Resources
- British Literature
- ‘Dinner with Shakespeare and Dickens’
- Literature through the movies
- Writing Club