Dr. Michael Breus and Dr. Matthew Swan
About Dr. Michael Breus
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is one of only 168 psychologists in the world to have passed the Sleep Medical Speciality board without going to Medical School. Dr. Breus was recently named the Top Sleep Specialist in California by Reader’s Digest, and one of the 10 most influential people in sleep.
Dr. Breus is the Author of The Power of When and The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; May 2011), discusses the science and relationship between quality sleep and metabolism. His first book, GOOD NIGHT: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin), an Amazon Top 100 Best Seller, is a do-it-yourself guide to better sleep.
About Dr. Matthew Swan
With experience in both internal medicine and oncology, Dr. Swan is uniquely qualified to provide care for patients with a wide range of health needs, from complex medical conditions to chronic disease management to routine preventive or acute care. He has worked as an internist at various hospitals from Florida to Kansas, including a previous role as a hospitalist physician and administrative leader at AdventHealth Shawnee Mission (then called Shawnee Mission Health). He also has worked as an assistant professor of medicine and in other clinical educator roles.
Join Dr. Michelle and Dr. Micheal Breus as they talk about:
- Why your life will change dramatically when you change your sleeping habits.
- How COVID-19 has had a dramatic effect on every single person’s sleep cycle.
- The science behind better immune function when we sleep better.
- How the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccine can depend on your quality of sleep including what time you wake up in the morning.
- Breaking down the two systems of sleep: our Sleep Drive and our Sleep Rhythm.
- The importance of getting at least 20 minutes of movement a day and better if you can go outside.
- Why no single diet or way of eating may it be Keto, Paleo, or Vegan won’t work if your sleep is off.
- How alcohol affects your sleep, rest, ability to bounce back the next day.
Discover what happens when you are sleep deprived:
- Your appetite and hunger increase
- Your metabolism slows down
- Your cortisol and adrenaline levels are very high keeping you awake
- You crave sugary, high carb foods
Listen and learn all about Dr. Breus’ 5-Step Sleep Plan:
- Choose 1 wake up time for the entire week based on your internal chrono type
- Stop caffeine consumption by 2pm (but don’t go cold turkey if you drink a lot of it)
- Wait 3 hours after your last alcoholic drink to go to bed
- Exercise daily for at least 20 minutes but stop 4 hours before bed
- Have a 15 oz refillable glass of water by your bedside
Join Dr. Michelle and Dr. Matthew Swan as they talk about:
- How sleep can impact our ability to defend ourselves against viruses and disease.
- Why poor sleep quality decreases our immune systems ability to fight back.
- The fact that sleep deprivation happens when we get less than 7 hours of sleep.
- What course of action you should take if you’ve been diagnosed with a sleeping disorder.
- How to start a sleep journal and what should be included in it.
- Good sleep hygiene practices you can follow including only using the bedroom for sleep.
- How sleep can help improve your mental health and why it’s just as important as fitness and nutrition.
- The importance of destressing, connecting with others, and reaching out for help when you need it.
Mentioned In This Episode