With Respect for Rolling Tundra: Ranger Sara Wolman
Sara Wolman is an interpretive park ranger for US Fish and Wildlife in King Salmon, Alaska. Find out how she's building a career, fostering community, and raising a young child in the rolling tundra, and what you do to help gather valuable scientific data to help tell the story of environmental change.
Sara reached out because every day, she's confronted with a story that's just not getting enough attention: marine mammal and bird dieout on Bristol Bay - - and what it could mean for the rest of the world.
Featured in this episode: Sara Wolman
Hosted by Gale Straub
In this episode, you'll hear:
- About how Sara fell in love with Alaska on a visit in college and knew she needed to return
- Sara's early career doing trail work in Alaska, Washington, and California
- About working at Katmai National Park as a ranger, and a couple of tips for those looking to work at a federal agency
- What a National Park conservancy or "friends of" group is
- Her career evolution to working at US Fish and Wildlife as an interpretive ranger
- About the marine species die-offs occuring on Bristol Bay and what they might say about the rest of the world
- How we can help collect data for federal agencies and nonprofits that can help tell the story of environmental change
- Tips for gaining a deeper appreciation fo the natural world when you're spending time outsdie
- What Sarah loves about living in King Salmon
- How she's built community living in the bush
- Why we might need to devote a whole additional episode on women in the bush of Alaska
- Sara Wolman: Instagram & Website
- Report Marine Mammal/bird Strandings: Fisheries.noaa.gov/report
- Coastal Obesrvation and Seabird Survey Team (COASST):coasst.org
- Local Environmental Observer Network (LEO Network) - You can sign up for the Northern Climate Observer here: Leonetwork.org
- Bear Cams: Explore.org
- Katmai Conservancy
- USA Jobs
- She Explores Episode: Nature Up Close - Science Illustrator Kristin Link
- She Explores Episode: Conservation and Experience - Jerryne Cole
- Episode Landing Page
Sponsors and Discount Codes
- Merrell: Learn more at Merrell.com*
- Deuter: Learn more at Deuter.com
- Ana Luisa: Get 10% off by using code EXPLORE10 and heading to analuisa.com/sheexplores
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays-- subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Music is by Kai Engel, Lee Rosevere, Josh Woodward, and Meydän using a creative commons attributions license.