Created with Sketch.
New Testament Review
41 minutes | Aug 4, 2021
43. Karl Ludwig Schmidt, Der Rahmen der Geschichte Jesu
What kind of books are the gospels? How much do they tell us about the sequence of Jesus' life? A discussion of KL Schmidt's Der Rahmen der Geschichte Jesu with Brandon Massey.
32 minutes | Mar 26, 2021
42. NT Wright, "On Becoming the Righteousness of God"
What does it mean to "become the righteousness of God" in 2 Corinthians 5:21?
24 minutes | Feb 2, 2021
41. Carolyn Osiek, "The Family in Early Christianity"
What does the "family" look like in the ancient world? Does Christianity reinforce or undermine traditional family roles?
43 minutes | Jan 11, 2021
40. James Rives, Christian Expansion and Christian Ideology
How did Christianity "triumph"? What made Christianity different from paganism? A discussion of James Rives' "Christian Expansion and Christian Ideology."
24 minutes | Dec 21, 2020
39. Raymond Brown, The Birth of the Messiah (Part 3)
Who were the Magi? The third annual New Testament Review Christmas episode. A discussion of yet another chapter from Raymond Brown's The Birth of the Messiah.
22 minutes | Dec 1, 2020
38. Allen Dwight Callahan, "'Brother Saul': An Ambivalent Witness to Freedom"
How have Black Christians interpreted Paul on the topic of slavery? A discussion of Allen Dwight Callahan's "Brother Saul': An Ambivalent Witness to Freedom" from Onesimus, our Brother.
41 minutes | Oct 6, 2020
37. Adolf Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East
Can letters, shopping lists, and receipts from antiquity help us to read the New Testament? A discussion of Adolf Deissmann's Light from the Ancient East.
25 minutes | Sep 1, 2020
36. Candida Moss, "The Man with the Flow of Power"
How can studying ancient notions of health inform our reading of the gospels? A discussion of Candida Moss' "The Man with the Flow of Power." Candida Moss, "The Man with the Flow of Power: Porous Bodies in Mark 5:25–34" Journal of Biblical Literature 129.3 (2010): 507-519.
36 minutes | Aug 4, 2020
35. David Brakke, "Canon Formation and Social Conflict in Fourth-Century Egypt"
What is a scriptural canon for? A discussion of David Brakke's "Canon Formation and Social Conflict in Fourth-Century Egypt: Athanasius of Alexandria's Thirty-Ninth Festal Letter" published in HTR in 1994.
36 minutes | Jul 7, 2020
34. Hindy Najman, Seconding Sinai
What is Second Temple Judaism? How did Jews who were roughly contemporary with the earliest Christians interpret the Hebrew Bible to apply it to their changing situations? A discussion of Hindy Najman's Seconding Sinai.
42 minutes | Jun 9, 2020
33. Percy Gardner-Smith, Saint John and the Synoptic Gospels (NT Pod Crossover)
Did John know the Synoptic Gospels? A discussion of Percy Gardner-Smith's Saint John and the Synoptic Gospels with Mark Goodacre of the NT Pod.
16 minutes | Apr 28, 2020
32. Beverly R. Gaventa, "The Cosmic Power of Sin in Paul's Letter to the Romans"
What is "sin" in Romans? Is it an abstraction for bad things people do or a cosmic force? Why does it matter? A discussion of Beverly Gaventa's "The Cosmic Power of Sin in Paul's Letter to the Romans: Toward a Widescreen Edition."
22 minutes | Apr 11, 2020
31. Donald Senior, "The Death of Jesus and the Resurrection of the Holy Ones"
Why does Matthew have "zombies" at Jesus' crucifixion? A discussion of Donald Senior's "The Death of Jesus and the Resurrection of the Holy Ones."
30 minutes | Apr 1, 2020
30. Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ
How do historians treat sources, build arguments, and evaluate explanatory claims? How is that different from apologetics? A discussion of Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ.
30 minutes | Mar 24, 2020
We're social distanced and self-quarantining... and that's just to finish our dissertations! Also, there's a pandemic. We asked you to tell us about your favorite pieces of New Testament scholarship.
50 minutes | Feb 25, 2020
29. Michael Williams, Rethinking Gnosticism
What is "Gnosticism"? A discussion of Michael Williams' Rethinking Gnosticism along with scholarship by Karen King, Christoph Markschies, and David Brakke.
16 minutes | Jan 28, 2020
28. Margaret Mitchell, "New Testament Envoys in the Context of Diplomatic & Epistolary Conventions"
What role did envoys and emissaries play in Paul's ministry? What cultural conventions influenced early Christian talk about envoys? A discussion of Margaret M Mitchell's 1992 essay, "New Testament Envoys in the Context of Greco-Roman Diplomatic and Epistolary Conventions."
32 minutes | Dec 23, 2019
27. Raymond Brown, The Birth of the Messiah (Part 2)
Our second annual Christmas episode! Who was Quirinius? Was there a census? Where is Joseph from? Discussing Luke's nativity with Raymond Brown's The Birth of the Messiah.
59 minutes | Dec 2, 2019
26. Walter Bauer, Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity
Are heresies always and everywhere secondary and subsidiary? How did the mainstream church of the fourth century achieve dominance? A discussion of Walter Bauer's Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity.
5 minutes | Nov 19, 2019
Laura and Ian preview their papers for the annual Society of Biblical Literature conference.
Terms of Service
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
© Stitcher 2021