Filming a Battle at Sea (with Greyhound DP Shelly Johnson ASC) GCS229
Listen as we explore the cinematography of the Apple TV+ film GREYHOUND with Director of Photography Shelly Johnson ASC.
Shelly and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss working with legendary actor Tom Hanks, recreating a WWII battle at sea, Shelly's focus on camera performance, using a white screen instead of green screen, the challenges of naturally lighting the interior of a dark battleship, and much more.
- Filming for theatrical vs streaming (03:22)
- Visual approach to Greyhound (07:00)
- Why it took Tom Hanks 10 years for financing (13:25)
- Shelly’s focus on camera performance (18:05)
- Recreating a battleship as a set (29:06)
- How Shelly didn’t test his lenses until day one of filming (35:27)
- Lighting the dark battleship interior (41:17)
- Using a white screen instead of green screen (45:55)
- Filming and lighting the night scenes (53:02)
- Challenges of filming with water (58:56)
- Working with Tom Hanks (01:03:43
- Shelly’s favorite sequence in Jurassic Park 3 (01:09:16)
- And more!
Go Creative Show is supported by:MZed - Education for Creatives PostLab - Stress-free collaboration for Final Cut Pro X Subscribe + Follow Go Creative Show
- Greyhound trailer
- Greyhound on Apple TV+
- Inside look at Greyhound