Editing Dramas, Comedies, and Documentaries (with Todd Downing ACE) GCS231
Learn the unique challenges and skills it takes to edit dramas, comedies, and documentaries with Mrs. America editor Todd Downing ACE.
Todd and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss his process going through all the raw footage, working with assistant editors, why he likes to make an edit work without music, the challenges of editing comedies and documentaries, his work on FX's Mrs. America, and much more.
- Starting on a project as an editor (02:24)
- Making an edit work without musical score (07:33)
- COVID-19's effect on Mrs America (12:15)
- Editing so many different genres of projects (16:00)
- Challenges of editing comedies (19:53)
- Skills to be a great documentary editor (23:45)
- Going through all the footage in Mrs America (31:04)
- Process working with assitant editors (34:22)
- Editing the hallucination scene in Mrs America (36:29)
- Determining a show's pacing (40:51)
- Choosing between takes as an editor (44:48)
- Collaborating with other editors (46:36)
- Post production process after editorial (49:23)
- Advice for new editors (51:39)
- And more!
Go Creative Show is supported by:MZed - Education for Creatives Subscribe + Follow Go Creative Show