Investing in Apartments as Both An Active and Passive Investors with Randy Langenderfer
Our guest for today has been investing in real estate since his first primary residence purchase of a duplex. He got his commercial real estate start as a private money lender in the remodeling of single-family homes in South Florida, Ohio and Texas with a combined market value in excess of $2.5M. . He invested in several assets as a limited partner and progressed into the general partner role.
Let’s dive right in and learn from Randy Langenderfer on how to achieve our goals in real estate.
[00:01 – 08:38] Opening Segment
- We introduce our guest, Randy Langenderfer
- Randy talks about his background
[08:39 – 14:56] Using The First Deal To Your Advantage
- Randy talks about his experience in the multifamily space.
- How to be cautious as a passive investor
[14:57 – 24:35] Finding Your Sweet Spot Of How You Want To Invest
- Randy shares his experiences as a multifamily investor and mentor
- Discovering that there is a route to getting rich slowly but surely plan
[24:36 – 37:49] Slow and Steady Wins the Race
- Being in the position to step away from your W2 income
- Understanding a minimum of four of the five levers as an LP
[37:50 – 47:51] Closing Segment
- Randy's bad investing advise
- Final thoughts
- Randy's book recommendations:
“I teach a lot of students about being an active passive investor, be involved. Don't just take somebody, don't take somebody's word for it, analyze it, look at their underwriting assumptions” – Randy Langenderfer
“what really, really got my maybe not an aha moment, but really intrigued me was the nonrecourse debt” – Randy Langenderfer
"find your sweet spot and chase it. Don't let someone else define your sweet spot for you, whether that's passive or active or a combination" - Randy Langenderfer
"the difference between an investor investing and speculation and investor is one that takes a look, understands the risk and says go speculators, one who says, I've got 50 K in my pocket, I need to invest. I'm going to plop it down with Dan and Anthony because I like them." - Randy Langenderfer
Connect with Randy! See the links below: