How Online Ads Are Destroying the World
There's a movement afoot to ban targeted ads: Ads that seem to follow you around the internet, showing you products you either might buy or, often, already bought.
Targeted ads can be either convenient or creepy depending on your point of view. But there's a much darker side to using big data to target ads individually. Because the same technology being harnessed by companies trying to sell you something is also being used to literally destroy our democracy.
In this week's "Money" podcast, we're going to talk to a Bob Sullivan: a privacy expert who can explain what's happening, why it's happening and what we can do to change it.
- From BobSullivan.net: Hate and misinformation are a feature, not a bug — ‘ban targeted ads’ movement gains traction
- Online Ads Can Track You Across Multiple Devices
- 10 Ways to Get a Discount on Every Online Purchase
- If You’re Not Getting Cash Back When Shopping Online, Use This Trick
- Bob Sullivan: firstname.lastname@example.org or BobSullivan@outlook.com
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/money/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands