055 – Francesca Rosella of CuteCircuit – Gold Plated Hugs
Francesca Rosella (bio), Co-Founder and Chief Creative Director of CuteCircuit (a global leader in interactive fashion integrating new beauty and functionality through the use of smart textiles and micro-electronics), joins Stephanie Benedetto and Samanta Cortes on locations at the 2018 WEAR Conference at FIT.In this episode:
- How Rosella started working in the field in 2001
- How people can use technology to connect with one another, express themselves
- Creating the first fashion wearable technology brand in world
- One of the first thing worked on was hug shirt, a t-shirt lets you hug someone over a distance, transferred in a hug message sent over mobile app
- Why start with a hug?
- Overcoming a disconnect between design and technology
- How CuteCircuit did not want wires in garments
- Pieces of fabric coated with nano-particals to be transparent and conductive
- Exciting project with Mercedes, designing a pilot suit, sensors for emotions of pilot, lights up in response to sounds and other stimulus, played in theaters
- What is the definition of “wearable”, must be a garment
- The ability to have the same electronics in a bracelet as in your shirt
- Must have fashion meet function
- Washability issues
- Sustainability considerations, recycling, use certified textiles, all electronics have restrictions of hazardous substances, and are all gold plated
- Have recycling program, send back garment, and recycle components, and discount on new garment
- Creating la ot of costumes for performers
- The sound shirt that allows deaf people to feel vibration of instruments in a concert
MouthMedia Network studios are powered by Sennheiser.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.