048 – Matt Kolmes of Supreme Corporations – Yarn, Conduction, and Sharks, Oh My!
Conductive smart yarns…
- Doing military work, being approached by military defense contractors, Top Secret, who said “Don’t ever say our name,” – what did this mean, and they realized the contractor probably realized they had perfect equipment for making conductive yarn, and an “aha “ moment
- How Kolmes was always jealous of wearable tech and smart yarns
- Most yarns had metal on the outside of the yarn, which exposed the conductive service
- How Supreme assessed they were disappointed, evaluated there was a solution, and designed insulation that could be soldered without stripping
- Sewing thread is the superhero of yarns
- Invention of protected copper wires so won’t break
- 185 patents in 54 years in 60 countries, with 15 more pending
- Why it is important to only protect what is protectable, what’s new, novel, and hasn’t existed before, looking at prior art (other patents relatable)
- How Supreme makes sure to keep half the invention a trade secret
- How a father’s offer changed Kolmes’ career path
- All their yarns are composite yarns, and they adding one new yarn per month
- Conductive yarn that changes color at a certain temperature, color shift yarn, can set temperature color changes
- Why North Carolina is a great place for fashion
- Changing color of yarn with electricity
- How apparel with conductive yarn can have a logo that can become an on-off switch
- A reality show, and sharks
- How yarn is exciting.
- A passion for savings lives, and a yearning for filmmaking, and how being a dad gives him the best moments of his week
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.