SEO with James Norquay
SEO is the current trend that online businesses utilize to get more leads and scale. However, I’ll be the first to admit that SEO is not my specialty. But although I’ve got a very limited understanding of making SEO work, a good friend of mine is an absolute expert at it.
James Norquay, the owner of Prosperity Media, runs an SEO agency that offers all things SEO. In today’s episode, he will be walking us through the process of making SEO work in your favour. We will be talking about the do’s and don’ts of SEO—making sure it all works well for you in the long run.
If you’re interested in learning about SEO or know someone who is, don’t hesitate to tune in to this value-adding episode.
James’ Backstory (3:01)
- James started making money online around 14 years ago.
- James started an SEO team for a large media agency in Sydney back in 2008-2009.
- Late 2012-Early 2013, James started Prosperity Media.
Basic “to-dos” for Small Business Owners to Improve Their SEO (6:18)
- For small business owners with little budget, start with a basic site audit.
- Ensure that your website is indexed. Get an SSL certificate.
- Set up your site on Google My Business.
- Fix technical issues, and start building relevant landing pages, do keyword research.
- Set up tracking, start monitoring things.
SEO Factors (8:07)
- On-Site (technical setup, content, schema markup, etc.)
- Off-Site (brand mentions, backlinks)
- The basic setup matters because if you don’t have it, everything else you’re doing doesn’t matter.
- One big mistake is spending too much on ads but having little to no budget for SEO.
- The budget should go mostly to paid advertising and organic SEO channels because that’s where the highest ROI comes from.
- A “no index tag” is a preventive measure that web developers use to stop Google from indexing your website.
- Error: Going live with your site but forgetting to take the “no index tag” down.
- Not taking the tag down means you won’t be getting any traffic to your site.
Common Mistakes in Starter Websites (11:21)
- Using large images. Larger images mean a slower website.
- Tip: Resize your images to get faster site speed.
- Not setting up your site on Google My Business.
- Tip: Don’t be spam heavy. Talk to a professional.
- Tip: DON’T put white text on a white background; this will easily penalize your site.
- Tip: Don’t “keyword stuff,” Google quickly detects that.
- Tip: DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY TO AVOID GETTING PENALTIES FROM GOOGLE.
Most Effective Way to Increase Results from SEO According to James (17:27)
- It depends on the vertical that the client wants to work in.
- It depends on the competitiveness of the niche.
- New websites take longer to see results because you have to build trust by building the authority of the site.
- TIP: Pick people who are the right fit for what you’re doing.
Budgeting: How much budget should go to SEO in the overall marketing mix? (25:06)
- Traditionally, SEO gets a smaller portion of the pie when it comes to budgeting.
- Some clients are entirely dependent on SEO, like large affiliate clients and crypto clients.
- You have to be able to see the value in SEO as you could be making excellent ROI from it.
- What is the difference between PPC and SEO?
James shares how he gets the big businesses (30:23)
- Attending events.
- Some clients come from SEO traffic.
- The relationship is KEY. Speak at events, be known for a certain thing.
- Don’t try to be an expert at everything; stay in your lane.
James Norquay is the founder and consulting director of Prosperity Media. James is an absolute expert at SEO. He has already helped quite a number of companies to grow through SEO. James’ company, Prosperity Media, strives to help their clients achieve success with their excellent customer service.
We now have a free resources section on our website. In this section, we are dedicated to helping you grow your business, whether it’s through generating more leads or getting more sales to increase your revenue and profit. This section is constantly being updated to serve you better by suiting your needs.
To check out our updated resources section, head over to growthlabz.com/resources to download your free resources today.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.