18: Family Feeding Styles with Jill Castle, MS, RDN
On average, parents serve up an estimated 28,000 meals and snacks during their child’s lifetime. That's one BIG reason it's important to get this whole feeding thing right! My podcast guest this week is Jill Castle, MS, RDN an expert on feeding styles and child nutrition. While she says good nutrition is a key component to raising healthy kids, Jill believes the "how to" of mealtime is just as critical. Tune in to find out why the Authoritative style of family feeding is the gold standard.
Jill is the host of The Nourished Child, which you can find on iTunes and other popular podcast sites. She is the author of Eat Like a Champion and co-author of Fearless Feeding. Her four children are now teens and young adults, and like me (and many of your, I'm sure), she has faced plenty of mealtime challenges. Her own experiences fueled Jill's passion to teach parents about the do's and don'ts of feeding kids.
Tune in to hear about the four most common styles of feeding--Authoritarian, Permissive, Neglectful, Authoritative--identify your style, and discover best practices for feeding families. Are you a clean-your-plate parent? Is your kitchen open 24/7? Or do you practice a "love with limits" style? You won't want to miss this show because some styles can actual sabotage a child's health over time.
More in this episode:
- Jill's go-to family recipes -- homemade meatballs and spaghetti sauce; beef in a Crockpot; grilled meats.
- The importance of your family feeding style and why parents would be better served if they learned this skill before they had kids!
- Everything you need to know about the four feeding styles.
- Authoritarian feeding is the “old school” style where kids are told to clean their plates.
- The common pitfalls of the Permissive style where the kitchen is open 24/7 and kids can eat whatever they want and whenever they want.
- A Neglectful feeding style can lead to insecurity and overeating.
- Why an Authoritative style is the gold standard feeding style. Jill calls it "Love with Limits."
- Think about the child you have in front of you and make decisions based on their temperament.
- Balanced eating is always the key.
- Jill’s favorite cookbooks and celebrity chefs.
Links and Resources
Jill's blog post: What's your feeding style?
What's Your Feeding Style? Click here for the free printable:
The Nourished Child Blog: www.jillcastle.com/blog
Books: Fearless Feeding and Eat Like a Champion both on Amazon
Several other ebooks on Jill's website here: https://jillcastle.com/books-authored-by-jill-castle/
Jill's TED Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFpHZQq0qDQ