299: Food Addiction & Personal Responsibility
Jennifer Alembik is a Food Addiction Coach and recovering food addict who has devoted her life to speaking, writing and coaching on this debilitating disease. Jenny’s intense passion to raise awareness and help others comes from her own personal struggle with food. She sought treatment at age 21 but sadly, it was ineffective. Finally, at the age of 45 yrs., she learned of her severe addiction to sugar and flour; the addictive culprits of her insane obsession and compulsion to eat. She currently resides in Florida with her three children; maintaining a 75lb weight loss and enjoying a full life, obsession free.
QUOTE: What is a favorite quote to share with our audience?
“There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally.”
― Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements
Top 3 Hot Points:
- What is a food addict vs Food Addiction
- Emotional Maturity
- Nutritional Impacts and Accountability
- Jennifer’s Coaching on Facebook – facebook.com/jenniferalembik
- Jennifer Alembik on Instagram – instagram.com/jenniferalembik
- Jennifer Alembik on LinkedIn – linkedin.com/in/jennifer-alembik-552b48109/
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [00:30] Introduction
- [11:35] If you’re a food addict, you’re using food, there’s a difference between eating food and eating to live and using food to cope. So you have to learn different tools and techniques. So with that, when you are feeling major stress, which is life, you’ve got to learn how to calm yourself down. Learn how to not go to the food first.
- [20:00] This is what I’ve learned and from observing and listening and watching the people who are morbidly obese. 300, 400, 500, 600 pounds, like the My 600-lb Life tv show, I noticed one thing in common. People are not going to like me when I say this, but it’s what I believe. There is an emotional maturity level, their EQ, not their IQ, we’re talking about here. Some of them are very intelligent, however, we’re talking about EQ here, emotional maturity is what they lack.
- [30:00] I love that there’s a person who lives in my area and she’s big on educating the kids. I think that’s wonderful. But I think it’s futile. Because a child does not go food shopping, the child does not make their meals, you must as a parent, take that responsibility. I’m not knocking parents, I believe every mother wants the best for their child and they’re doing the best that they can. They really were just uneducated on these topics.
- [40:00] Final Words
You have got to be you. Everybody’s pain threshold is different but you’ve got to know when you hit it. When I was ready, I was done. There wasn’t enough. I had eaten every food more than 1000 times. I was so done because I just couldn’t take the pain anymore. The mental insanity and the physically uncomfortable feelings meant that I just was done.
I was like, you know, I’m 45, I’m halfway through my life! I’m not willing to continue to live this way anymore. I have three young girls and I have to be their role model. You get one shot at life. Just one!
- My 600-lb Life – tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life
Watch On YouTube:
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_b1b73vQCY]Action Steps:
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!
Follow on Instagram: