Patrick Aebischer: A novel molecule to promote longevity
This episode of the Live Long and Master Aging podcast is the first in a series produced in association with the Swiss life science company, Amazentis. It will explore the history of the company and the science behind its goal of promoting healthy aging. Professor Patrick Aebischer, chairman and co-founder of Amazentis, is a medical doctor, neuroscientist and longtime researcher. He has held distinguished positions in his home country of Switzerland, as President of the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and in the United States at Brown University in Providence. In this interview we explore how an idea based on little more than “intuition” led to a deeper understanding of muscular strength, as we age, and the role of fruits such as pomegranates. We focus on urolithin A, a bioactive dietary metabolite that is naturally produced when eating certain foods, and how Mitopure, a highly pure, synthetic form of the compound, could help people avoid frailty as they grow older.
Read more about the science behind Mitopure from Timeline.
In this interview we cover:
- The importance of good health as we deal with the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The genesis and big idea behind Amazentis.
- Putting the spotlight on aging well.
- Quality of life versus lifespan - living better, not only longer.
- Putting into perspective the scientific advances that make it possible to defy some of the killer diseases of old age.
- The intriguing science behind so-called superfoods, like pomegranates.
- Research built on intuition that led to a breakthrough in diet science.
- Understanding the role of urolithin A and the development of Mitopure, a pure form of the compound, which boosts mitochondrial health, through mitophagy.
- Tackling frailty through supplementation to boost muscle strength as we age.
- The value of professional, data-driven research in promoting a new dietary product.
- A multidisciplinary approach to science.
- The personal aspirations of an artist’s son and lifelong scientist.
- The precious gift of creativity and a healthy mind.
This LLAMA podcast episode is produced in association with Amazentis, an innovative life science company dedicated to employing breakthrough research and clinical science to bring advanced therapeutic nutrition products to life, under its Timeline brand.
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.