Nichola Conlon: Stimulating the body to repair itself
The body's unique ability to repair itself, with a little outside help, is the focus of a growing sphere of longevity science. One area of research concerns a molecule, known as nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), which plays a key role in many biological processes. NAD+ declines as we age, but research has shown that, through supplementation, youthful levels can be restored, helping us to age better.
In this episode, Dr Nichola Conlon, a molecular biologist and co-founder of Nuchido Laboratories, based in North -East England, discusses her mission to develop nutraceuticals to stimulate rejuvenation.
In conversation with Peter Bowes, Nichola explains her passion for nutritional interventions designed to enhance healthspan; she addresses the need to educate people about the relevance of biogerontology research and the new products that could significantly improve our quality of life.
Recorded: December 3rd, 2020 | Read a transcript and show notes at the LLAMA podcast website.
“This episode is brought to you by AgeUp, a new financial product that provides guaranteed supplemental income for people who worry about the financial impact of longevity. To find out more, visit Age-Up.com
Topics covered in this interview include:
- A career in science driven by Nichola's fascination with the human body - how "it's so intricately designed and perfect to make us tick."
- How do drugs work - from consumption to the cells where they need to work.
- What is aging?
- The steep learning curve involved in aging research.
- Is it a good thing to try to slow aging and should it be done through supplementation?
- Translating the science into consumer products.
- What does Nuchido mean?
- Explain the role and complexities of NAD+
- The benefits of elevated NAD levels, related to aging.
- Why reverse a process (declining NAD) when it appears to be a natural part of aging?
- Why we are very good at being young but not so good at being old.
- Being a successful female scientist and entrepreneur in a male-dominated world.
- The importance of tracking your own health through regular blood tests.
- Why the sky's the limit in biogerentology.
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.