David Katz: Robust health beyond the pandemic
If the coronavirus pandemic has reminded us of anything, it is that there is nothing more important than our health and wellbeing. Now that the vaccine is a reality for people in the UK - and the rest of the world soon - there is real hope that the disease will be brought under control during the first part of next year.
"People in robust good health are massively less vulnerable to bad outcomes during the pandemic and more vital in general," says Dr. David Katz, a physician and co-author of the new book, How to Eat. Highlighting the importance of lifestyles and nutritional interventions, to promote health and vitality, Dr Katz says, there is much to be done tackling the "neglected scourges” of modern living, as we move on from the pandemic.
A renowned public health commentator and prolific writer, Dr Katz serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of Amazentis, a Swiss life science company and co-producer of this LLAMA podcast episode. In this interview, with Peter Bowes, he analyzes the current state of Covid-19; the challenge of sorting fact from fiction; the prospect of “herd immunity” and life after the virus. He also delves into the infinitely fascinating world of the microbiome and nutritional products that promote enhanced muscle mass and function as we age.
Recorded: December 1st, 2020 | Read a transcript and show notes at the LLAMA podcast website.
This episode of the LLAMA podcast was brought to you in association with Amazentis, a Swiss life science company, which is pioneering cutting edge, clinically validated cellular nutrition, under its Timeline brand.
Topics covered in this interview include
- How a rambunctious kid chose a career in medicine and developed a passion for preventing chronic disease, and promoting health.
- Analyzing the lifestyle practices that determine our state of health.
- Drama over data and the Covid-19 pandemic.
- What does herd immunity mean?
- Pandemic fatigue, opening up society and phasing back to normalcy.
- The "acute case for chronic health" as we emerge from the pandemic.
- Mitochondrial health, the microbiome, pomegranates and urolithin A.
- Amazentis' nutritional product Mitopure and clinical trials suggesting a positive impact on physical stamina and endurance.
- Can rejuvenation of mitochondria mimic the health of the world's fittest communities?
- Sleep, diet and exercise.
- Stuart Phillips: Boosting physical strength as we age
- Stephanie Blum: Embracing and marketing the science of wellbeing
- Johan Auwerx: Enjoying youthful vitality as we age
- Navindra Seeram: The rejuvenating power of plants
- Patrick Aebischer: A novel molecule to promote longevity
- Anurag Singh: Pomegranates, muscle mass and healthy aging
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.