Blair Baldwin: Getting old and running out of money
What if we run out of money, as we get older?
If we live a very long, healthy and active life, will we be able to afford the kind of lifestyle that we aspire to, as a nonagenarian or centenarian? The so-called longevity risk poses a dilemma for many people. The goal is to enjoy a vibrant healthspan but it could prove to be expensive.
In this episode of the Live Long and Master Aging podcast we discuss the financial side of living a very long life. We also meet LLAMA’s new sponsor, AgeUp, a novel financial product that provides guaranteed supplemental income for people who worry about the financial impact of longevity. We explore the idea of longevity annuities - sometimes called deferred income annuities - as a way to set up a stream of income for life beyond 90.
Blair Baldwin, founder and general manager of AgeUp, explains how the product came about, he shares the research behind the concept, and breaks down how it works.
"If you have fewer worries about money and finances, especially when you imagine the future state, that can only help lower your levels of anxiety and can only correlate to a more healthy lifestyle, essentially, and a better chance of living a very long life."
Published: October 21, 2020 | Recorded: October 15, 2020
Visit the LLAMA podcast website for complete show notes, including a transcript of the conversation.
This episode is brought to you by AgeUp, a new product that helps fill in the financial gaps that are often created once you’ve mastered aging and achieved an exceptionally long life. Small monthly payments to AgeUp stack over time to create a secure income stream for your 90s and beyond. Contributions to AgeUp are shielded from market swings, and once payouts begin at age 91 or above, they’re guaranteed to last for life. AgeUp is backed by MassMutual and sold by Haven Life Insurance Agency. You can find out more at Age-Up.com
In this episode we cover:
- The story behind AgeUp and how Blair developed an interest in human longevity.
- The challenge: Creating financially accessible products that “do a little good for the world."
- Family conversations about money and old age.
- Attitudes towards extreme longevity and how they affect our perspective on money.
- Setting in place a financial plan to create an income over the age 90
- Why have an income stream so late in life?
- Weighing the options and assessing the longevity risk.
- Involving the family and building in a safety net.
- Longevity and Covid 19 - and the importance of a long-term view